How to Care for Synthetic Rugs
With technology making new steps every day, come many new ways to make things. One of those things is the synthetic rug. Nowadays you don’t need fancy materials and natural fibres to make an exquisite carpet. You can enjoy the luxury of fancy-looking floor coverings without it costing an arm and a leg to get one. But of course, with nice things comes responsibility. If you want your new carpet to stay looking fabulous for years ahead, you are going to have to know how to care for synthetic rugs.
You may also like: How to Clean your Wool Rug.
General Cleaning and How to Care for Synthetic Rugs
Maintainance is key to sustaining your rugs hygiene and appearance. If you put in a little effort frequently, it will save you having to buy a new rug prematurely. We recommend you incorporate the little tasks into your weekly and monthly routines to preserve your rug’s new-look. Here are a few tips on how to care for your synthetic rug:
- The first and most vital of your tasks is hoovering. If you hoover your rugs twice weekly, you will minimise the chance of dirt working its way so deep into the fibres that it ruins it. When you have children or pets, you may have to hoover 3-4 times a week. If possible, it may be a good idea to pick your rug up and give it a good shaking outside.
- When you notice a spill on your carpet, tackle the issue immediately. If those nasty stains get the chance to dry, it is near impossible to remove them. Paper towels or absorbent cloths are a good thing to have handy for these kinds of disasters.
- Call in professional cleaners to give your rugs a nice freshening up. No matter the amount of attention you give to your carpets, nothing can achieve the same results like a little bit of professional care. Your floor coverings will be grateful.
How to Clean up Spills and Stains Synthetic Rugs
No matter the amount of care, sooner or later the unthinkable is going to happen. Spills and stains are unavoidable in life. It is an inevitability that is impossible to escape. That is why you need to be armed with the knowledge of how to deal with such mishaps. The best way to do this is to catch them on time. However, we are humans. Sometimes we miss the stains. Here is our advice on how to deal with general carpet stains:
- Make sure there is no dry dirt on the spill. You don’t want any more dirt sneaking its way into the fibres. A vacuum could help with this task.
- If the stain still holds moisture, blot it gently with a paper towel or an absorbent cloth. Never rub, you don’t want to end up damaging the fibres or rubbing the dirt in, causing a stain.
- Now get your cleaning agent. You can use a shop-bought detergent or a DIY solution. The choice is yours.
- Apply your cleaning solution to an absorbent towel. Start blotting the area gently. Use different parts of the towel so as not to reapply dirt that you have removed. Start from the outer edge of the stain inwards. You don’t want it to spread.
- Leave the cleaning agent for 5 minutes to work its magic.
- Now get a clean cloth and dampen it lightly with cool water. Use this to rinse out the suds from the cleaning solution.
- Once you have removed all traces of the solution, get a dry, clean cloth or paper towels and use it to blot up any excess moisture.
Check out also: The Best Way to Clean your Carpets at Home.